Monday, July 12, 2010

Runner's High

Today was week 5, day 3. The big, scary, unimaginable day, where I had to run for 20 minutes straight. And you know what? I DID IT. I actually ran for 20 minutes without stopping. B's GPS said that was about 1 3/4 miles (the longest I've ever run before is a mile). I am so excited - I can't believe that I actually managed.

The weather was great this morning, which always helps. And B picked a fairly flat running route - only 1 hill to speak of. I had no trouble getting up the hill on the way out. We turned around at the halfway point and I had to do the hill again. By the time I hit the top I was really ready to quit. Then as I started the downhill, I started to feel better. My legs stopped hurting. It was easier to breathe. I'm told this is due to the release of endorphins, leading to "runner's high." I was ready to stop at the 20 minute mark, but I really felt that I could have kept going if I needed to do so.

I'm doubly excited to hear from a running co-worker that once your body achieves runner's high, you get there faster and faster. It's like your brain learns how to do it and it gets easier and easier. Hopefully this is true, because week from here on out it won't be easy. Week 6 is similar to week 5, with a different program each day, but from week 7 there is no more walking. The amazing part? I really think I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment