Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My first running affliction (and product review!)

I decided to brave the great outdoors again for my run today. The temperature was below 80 when I got up, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It turned out to be not such a great idea. The humidity was really up, making it hard to breathe and generally sticky and miserable. I only made it to 22 minutes of my 28 minute run. I think it will be back to the gym on Friday.

There was another issue with running on such a humid day, especially in a pair of really cheap running shorts - my first bout of chafing. I know this is a common affliction among runners in a variety of areas of the body, particularly the thighs and (ouch on this one) the nipples. Fortunately my case isn't too bad, but still unpleasant as I sat at my desk at work, particularly since I unwisely chose to wear a skirt today.

I mentioned this situation to my dear friend J (she'll appear again, no worries) and she said that, ironically, she had just seen an ad on TV the night before for a product to treat and prevent chafing. All she could remember was that it began with an L. A quick Yahoo search turned up Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel.


The website proclaimed that this product "soothes and prevents chafing." It also proclaimed to be non-greasy, non-staining, and moisture proof. Sold. So over my lunch break, I stopped by CVS and picked up a tube. The price was $7.49, but with my Extra Care Card I saved $1.50, thus only paid $5.99. I was a little concerned when this only bought me a 1 oz. tube, but the box proclaimed "Economical. A small amount goes a long way and lasts a long time."

It must have said three or four times on the box and tube to only use a small amount, so I did. The gel is clear, and has a super smooth, silky texture. I rubbed a little on and was immediately impressed with how much better I felt. And indeed, a tiny dab did go a long way. I will certainly be using this for my run on Friday. Time will tell if helps me to heal up faster than usual.

My husband, B, also suffers from the occasional running or biking induced chafe, so I'll be sure to have him test this out as well. So far, I have to say that this product is a winner. My only complaint would be that there is a bit of excess packaging, but the cardboard can be recycled.

Let me know if you have any tips for preventing the chafe (other than this awesome product).

No comments:

Post a Comment