Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What a difference a day makes!

Today was day 1 of week 4 of c25k. Day 3 of week 3 was really brutal - I struggled a lot and I was really concerned that week 4, with it's longer runs and shorter recovery times, was going to kick my butt. Fortunately, mother nature decided to give me a little help!

On Monday, it was already hot and humid at 6:00am. Walking out my front door felt like stepping into a sauna. B and I were both drenched by the end of the warm-up walk, and I felt like I was breathing underwater. This morning the temperature was in the 60s and the air was much dryer. The sun was shining and there was a cool breeze. It was PERFECT running weather! Day 1 of week 4 actually felt good. I mean, it's not like I'm actually having fun, but at least I managed to do the run without thinking I was going to die the entire time.

In other news, my giant running shoe order arrived last night. I am totally bewildered by the huge selection! Even the couple of pair that were too short could be re-ordered a half size larger(!). I'm a bit lost. How do you people with normal sized feet choose? There are so many options.

I think I've ruled it down to three styles:
  • A New Balance runner very much like my current shoes. Designed for the mild pronator, with good support.
  • Nike Pegasus. I owned a pair of these decades ago, but obviously they have changed a lot. They are a VERY cushy, squishy shoe that feels like walking on pillows.
  • A pair of Saucony runners that are sort of a combination of the above - designed for a pronator, but still with a lot of cushioning.
I have no idea how I will make this decision, plus I could reorder the too-small shoes in a bigger size. How to choose?

1 comment:

  1. Laurel - As a committed non-runner, I'm disappointed to have lost one of the tribe. However, I am marrying a marathon runner, and I suggest that you actually go to a running store and have them suggest what shoe to get (even if they don't stock the size). The folks at FleetFeet in Adams Morgan in DC were tons of help to Andrew and as another skinny-footed person with flat feet, I've gotten really good service there, too.

    ReplyDelete